Monday, April 6, 2009

Are we there yet?

Everyone else I know went through divorce and came out the other side; not me. I have to look back now that it has been 20 years and realize things just aren't going to be what the world of families calls normal.

I only speak to two of my adult children. I married a man from a dysfunctional family and between the two o us, we created a family that hangs by itself.

Life wasn't suppose to be this way. But, we learn and yet another holiday season will be here and I will be alone or chatting with my roommate. My eldest son has been out of prison for the third time, now for a year. He'll call. But it doesn't stop others who want to ask me what I did wrong to create such disenchanted children. I yelled from the frustration of it all. I encouraged them all. I helped with homework and tried my best to stay sane with the marriage or the excuse of one that I had. I was barely hanging on most of the time.

I am on the outside. There are many with me I feel. Many also don't remarry, but the world, as a whole, doesn't talk about that. It's not fun to hear about the lonely people. We only want to hear about the people who end up happy. If I wasn't a writer, I would have been in the looney bin a long time ago.

I want to hear from others and share opinions.

You can write me directly at writer@well.com. That's all for now.

Laura Bell
-30-

2 comments:

  1. God has given us an ability to forget, and urge to compare; and a society where people can probe the personal life of others.

    For a divorced person, ability to forget the past and bitter experiences is a gift of God; ability to suppress the urge to compare two lives or situations helps relationship-building; and craft of concealing personal life from curious persons living around will provide privacy and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You are right, but it also helps to share what we have been through.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete